Office Manolyali Sok. No: 15 Levent
Address Istanbul, 34330 Turkey
Phone : +9 212-283 9270
FAX : +9 212-283 9022
Medical Education and Surgical Training:
- Medical School: Istanbul University, School of Medicine (1959-1965)
- General Surgery Residency: Hacettepe University Hospital (1965-1969)
- Plastic Surgery Residency: Hacettepe University (1969-1971)
- Research and Clinical Fellowship:
Eastern Virginia Medical School (5 Sept 1976 – 30 April 1977)
- Clinical Fellowship:
University of Miami (1 May 1977 – 30 June 1977)
- Microsurgery Fellowship:
Baylor College of Medicine (1 July 1977 – 1 Sept 1978)
- Research & Clinical Fellowship
Baylor College of Medicine (1 Jan 1978 – 1 Sept 1978)
- Assistant Professor, Hacettepe University (1972 – 1974)
Assistant Professor & Chief of Research Laboratory
- Baylor College of Medicine (1 Sept 1978 – 1 Sept 1979)
- Associate Professor, Hacettepe University (1974 – 1980)
- Professor, Hacettepe University (1980 – 1989)
- Visiting Professor, Akdeniz University, Department of
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (1990 –1994)
- Visiting Professor, Marmara U. Dental School of Medicine (1990 – 1994)
- Professor and Head of Department of Plastic &
Reconstructive Surgery, Kadir Has University (1999-2006)
- Professor and Head of Department of Plastic &
Reconstructive Surgery, Istanbul Science University,
School of Medicine (2006-2009)
- Hacettepe Hospital, Hacettepe University (1965-1989)
- V.K.V. American Hospital (1989-2006)
(Chief of Department, Plastic Surgery)
- International Hospital, Istanbul (1990-2002)
- Florence Nightingale Hospital, Istanbul University (1990-1999)
- Florence Nightingale & Metropolitan Hospital,
- Kadir Has University (1999-2006)
- Florence Nightingale & Metropolitan Hospital,
Istanbul Science University (2006- 2009)
Honors in Medicine:
- Award – Honorable Mention Junior Classification, 1975 Scholarship Essay Contest of the Educational Foundation of the ASPRS
- Award – Fellowship Award from the Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey, 1976.
- Award – First Prize Senior Classification 1978 Essay Contest of the Educational Foundation of the ASPRS
- Grant Award – Coinvestigator of the project “Free Flap Trachea and Esophageal Reconstruction”, National Institute of Health, 1978
- Research Scholarship – Baylor College of Medicine – The project “Latissimus Dorsi Myocutaneous Flaps”, 1978
- Research Scholarship – Baylor College of Medicine – The project “Comparative Diagnostic Techniques in Different Types of Trauma”, 1979
- Grant Award – Coinvestigator of the project “A New Method Using Omentum to Reconstruct Deformities”, National Institute of Health, 1979
- Grant Award – Coinvestigator of the project “Breast Reconstruction with Secondary Omental Island Skin Flap”, American Cancer Society, 1979
- Award – Medical Science Award of Sedat Simavi Foundation, 1981.
- 1999 – Best Contributor to Positive Science “Top 10 Contributors in 10 Fields” Aktuel Magazine, Turkey
- May 1, 2001 – Best Plastic Surgeon. Radikal Newspaper, Turkey
- 2006 – Rotary Club Mediterannean Section, Professional Achievement Award
- October, 2007 / The Maliniac Lecturer / ASPS-PSEF
Founding member of INTERPLAST-Turkey
- Interplast Activities:
- Tekirdag, Turkey, April 1991
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, October 1993
Turkish Society of Plastic Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Activities as an executive committee member:
- Officer (1972-1974)
- Treasurer (1974-1977)
- Treasurer (1982-1984)
- Secretary General (1984-1986)
- Secretary General (1986-1988)
- Secretary General (1988-1990)
- Secretary General (1990-1992)
- Vice President (1994-1996)
- President (1996-1998)
- Turkish Society of Plastic Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery (1971)
- International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive, and Aesthetic Surgery (1971)
- Millard Society (1977)
- Baylor Society (1978)
- American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (1981)
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (1983)
- European Association of Plastic Surgeons (1990)
- Tennis, Fencing & Mountain Club (1990)
- Mediterannean Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (1990)
- Turkish Medical Academy (1993)
- Officer at the Executive Committee of the European Section of IPRAS (1993)
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons (1996)
- French Society of Aesthetic, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (1999)
- The Rhinoplasty Society (2000)
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (2002)
His contributions to the Plastic Surgery
1. A new method for bi-lateral cleft lip based on the Millard Technique. Dr. Erol has been performing this procedure since 1973
2 The Secondary Island Prefabricated Flap was developed and used in face and nose reconstruction. It is in international literature and a concept in plastic surgery.
- The reconstruction of burned breast deformity via areola transposition. This is published in the United Kingdom and in other international literature and was presented at many international congresses.
4. A new mastopexy technique was developed that leaves no noticeable scar. This technique known as Circumaleor Mastopexy. Dr. Erol has been using it for 25 years and it has been filmed and shown in many meetings. He has been invited to many international congresses to speak about this procedure.
- Florescent paint photography technique. This is published in the USA and is used at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas and in Hacettepe University in Turkey for both clinical and examination purposes. It is also published in international literature.
- Florescent Klirens test. This is published in the USA and is used at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas and in Hacettepe University in Turkey for both clinical and examination purposes. It is also published in international literature.
- Total Breast Reconstruction Omental Secondary Island Flap. This is used for mastectomy patients. It used in the US and other various countries. It is in international literature and is a concept in plastic surgery.
- Capillary bed formation using microsurgical technique.
9. Secondary Myocutaneous Flap. Clinical tests have begun and it is published in international literature.
- Chin Reconstruction by use of Omental Secondary Osteocutaneous Flap. Clinical tests have begun and it is published in international literature.
- Mentoplasty using a wire cage and periosteal bone regeneration technique (chin augmentation). This method is proved experimentally and has been used clinically since 1980. This has been presented at several congresses.
- Nose and ear reconstruction with the use of omental secondary vascularized flap. It is used experimentally and published in the US. It has begun to be used clinically as a method
for total nose reconstruction. It is a concept in plastic surgery and in international literature.
- New system to cover white spots and burn scars. Known as “Curtain Technique” it is used in clinical practice regularly. It can be found in international literature.
- Turkish Delight technique. This is the use of a special cartilage graft technique in aesthetic rhinoplasty. It has been presented at many international congresses and is in international literature.
- Balloon technique. This technique was developed to correct damaged and shortened noses. It has been presented at international congresses and can also be found in international literature.
- Anterior Otoplasty. This technique was developed to correct prominent ears using only an anterior approach. It is published in the US and international literature.
17. VMC Flap. This provides a new healing system to replace lost nose tissue. It has been presented at various international congresses.
18. Tissue Cocktail was developed for face rejuvenation as well as reshaping the face by using the patient’s own tissue. It has been used since 1989 and has been presented at various international congresses and symposiums.
- In Situ Split Costal Cartilage Graft Harvesting through a Small Incision Using a Gouge
Reconstruction of the Superior Labial Sulcus in Secondary Bilateral Cleft Lip Deformities: An Inverted U-Shaped Flap.
21. Brow Suspension, a Minimally Invasive Technique in Facial Rejuvenation.
22. Lip Suspension Technique
23. Buttock Suspension Technique
- Calf augmentation with micro fat and or Tissue Cocktail injection
- Tip Rhinoplasty in Broad Noses: New Techniques Utilizing Mouldable Diced Cartilage and Alar base Suspension
- Total Rotation Advancement Technique in One Stage Repair of Wide Complete
Unilateral Cleft Lip:
- Cheek, Neck, Lateral Cantus suture suspension technique, using custom made instruments
- Mastopexy with simultaneous augmentation and areolar – glandular flap suspension technique with no vertical incision
- Ö. O Erol, “Autologous Volumetric Three-Dimensional Shaping of the Face”,
Ch.10, Three Dimensional Facial Sculpting by Edward O. Terino, 2007
- Ö. Onur Erol, “Vasküler Anomaliler ve Hemanjiyonlar” p: (585-592),
“Neotolojinin Temel Ilkeleri ve Acilleri” by Müesser Tuncer, 2007
- Ö. Onur Erol, “Doğmalık Dudak-Damak Yarıkları”, Anne ve Bebek Sağlığı Vakfı Merkezi Yeni Doğan Acilleri by Müesser Tuncer, May 2005.
- [CHAPTER]: Erol O.O., Agaoglu G.:Calf Augmentation with Fat Transfer, Encyclopedia of Aesthetic Rejuvenation Through Volume Enhancement, June 2014, Page 339-342
- [CHAPTER]: Erol O.O., Agaoglu G.: “Turkish Delight” Graft to the Nasal Dorsum, Encyclopedia of Aesthetic Rejuvenation Through Volume Enhancement, June 2014, Page 186-190
- [CHAPTER]: Erol O.O.: Injectable and Surgicel – Wrapped Diced Cartilage in Secondary Rhinoplasty, Secondary Rhinoplasty by the Global Masters, 2016, Volume 2, Page 869-915
Publications, Presentations & Citations
Publication – 113
Presentation – 419
Citation – 650